2004-10-10

The Oath

Today I found out that my little sister was caught drinking. Nothing really new to me, I mean I've known about it for a few months now. My mum didn't react as bad as she did toward Mariah (older sister) or at least it didn’t seem like she did. Well then again when my mum found out about Mariah I was home and heard the shouting, it might have been the same for Victoria. Mariah was 18 when my mum found out; Victoria is 15, which might have something to do with punishments. I personally have taken an oath to not let foreign chemicals or poisons drastically alter my moods and thoughts.

This Oath that I took I thought was mainly enacted by myself due to the fact that alcoholism and drug abuse runs in my family. (Alcoholism on both sides, drug abuse by my dad.) At first my Oath was to say no to all alcohol and drugs forever. (Oh look I'm a good D.A.R.E. student!) But as I matured I noticed that small amounts of alcohol can be healthy and now I am purely against the altering of moods and emotions. (AKA getting drunk or wasted.) Anywho back to the story! As time went on I got several chances to break my Oath but I never did. This I credit mainly to "reverse-rebellion". My mum thought I was into drugs and alcohol. So, being the stubborn bastard that I am, I didn't do anything of that sort.

The other day Victoria and I were discussing how when a parent is not strict on a child, that child will have nothing to rebel against. When I mentioned this to my mum she replied "But some children need rules so they will know right and wrong." I think both are very good points of view and should both be integrated into the raising of a child.

No comments: